Dismiss this notice
Eurobichons is back with ALL the help you need for all your pets.

Our forums are where you can get the best help for your pets and there is more coming for you.
Our WIKI is available for you to use as a reference & learning center and more articles are added on a regular basis.

Welcome.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannabidiol for your dogs pain (YES ITS LEGAL)
Managing Severe Pain IN Dogs Using Therapeutic Cannabidiol Oil 

Pet owners will take their pets to their local vet to be legally treated and they are given the usual suspects of steroids, loxicam, metacam and antibiotics which are far too often over prescribed for use in family pets resulting in not truly resolving the cause of pain and whilst at it increasing the animals eight by using steroids. Invasive surgery is offered at the first sign of lamness when there are many methods that can resolve an animals difficulty using less intrusive therapies. 
Lets talk Cannabis 
Yes IT IS LEGAL 
The cannabis plant has over 60 chemicals called cannabinoids. The two main types of cannabinoids are cannabidiol (CBD) and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). CBDs are therapeutic cannabinoids, while THC is the cannabinoid that makes you high. Marijuana’s THC content is usually between 10 and 15 percent; but hemp must have a THC content of 0.3 percent or less. At this level, cannabis has no intoxicating effect, for people or dogs no matter how persuasive your local vet is and they do try to encourage surgery over therapy because it is fiscally better for them in the present and the future. The cannabis plant contains a number of different chemicals, including CBD, phytocannabinoids, terpenoids and flavonoids. Humans and other mammals have specific cannabinoid receptor sites. These sites are primarily in the brain and central nervous system, and in peripheral organs, especially immune cells. They make up what’s called the endocannabinoid system. 
Studies show that many cannabinoids have anti-inflammatory effects, and can help with pain, tumors, seizures, muscle spasms, skin conditions, appetite stimulation, aggression, anxiety and neurological disorders. 
Having been witness to how it works physically with a dog that has developed IVDD post operatively for swollen menges some 4 years ago in which 3 of her vets disregarded the thoughts of swollen or infected menges and over a 9 day period continued to use steroids and take countless xrays showing nothing and also taking bloods that showed infection. On day 9 as she was fading I took her to an emergency vet who agreed with my diagnosis and she was rushed into the University hospital for life saving surgery with 3 surgeons , neuro, ortho and general. She was placed in ICU for 3 days and I was not allowed to see her in case she became agitated and excitable. Then moved to normal stay ward . Her op was delayed for 24 hrs whilst they tried to flush the steroids from her body as it was the wrong treatment for her condition. She came home and her post op recovery involved absolute cage rest on floor no walking even for toilet for 6 weeks then a further 6 weeks on 3 minute walks increasing 2 mins every 4 days . It was one battle I didn’t think I would win. She recovered perfectly , The swollen menges left her with some very small side effects like nails would drop off on her left paws and once per year during very cold wet weather she would become very sore due to arthritis in the spine. Her usual regime was gabapentin and loxicam . This Summer she took very bad and the damp weather affected her terribly, the pain relief was not helping her neither was loxicam, she was in so much pain, she couldn’t toilet at all and I had to help her. I thought her suffering was getting to a point of euthanasia but being who I am I felt as a last resort I would use cannabidiol oil, I started on a very low dose purchased from a local well named health store. I gave her first dose and she licked her lips, I usually wont give my dogs anything I wouldn’t use or eat myself, so I tried it, YUK, but she seemed to like it. I waited holding and stroking her bottom jaw open to maximise its effect, it works better going through the blood stream rather than the stomach. If you cannot manage to keep the dogs mouth from immediately swallowing the CBD then I suggest giving a triple dose as most will be 
wasted going through the stomach. After a few days I noticed her responding to the treatment. To support her neck I further purchased a neck brace from Balto, this gave her cervical spine support without causing her distress. Within a week she was able to eliminate herself and also felt on the odd day that she was well enough to escape her pen to view what her mates were doing (She is the pack alpha always has been ) I then bought a stronger CBD and gave her a lower dose of that product but it was higher than her other one, Immediately she reacted and her movements increased to the point she was not just escaping her pen but giving her friends orders as per her usual self. After day 15 I removed her brace for a few hours and she made no screams, she came over slowly to give me a lick and is eating drinking eliminating normally pain free. The CBD has for sure made her totally pain free and almost back to her usual naughty self, but I still have her on pen rest only for another 3 weeks just to ensure her spine has gone back to its usual resting place . 
Among chronic conditions, it can help with arthritis, compromised immune systems, stress responses, aggression and digestive issues. There are also studies under way into CBD’s effects on Type 1 diabetes, organ diseases and cancer. 
Veterinarians are also finding CBD hemp can be useful in treating acute ailments like sprains and strains, torn ligaments, bone breaks and even during post-operative care to reduce swelling, pain and stiffness. 
If your dog’s taking conventional drugs for any of these conditions, CBD hemp may make it possible to use lower doses of the drugs to achieve therapeutic effects. Since conventional medicines do have side effects, this is a useful benefit of CBD. As with any herbal medicine, for most ailments you may not see an immediate effect. You’ll need to be patient. 
Your dog may feel some pain relief in a few hours but other symptoms like inflammation may take a few days to show improvement because of the low THC, CBD hemp won’t make your dog high so no need to be worried that Fido is seeing the green carpet at Crufts ha that is reserved for the special few in rotation . The most common side effect of CBD is that your dog may get a little drowsy – about the same as if you gave him a Benadryl 
Quality of products will always be an issue until all companies face mandatory testing, https://www.fda.gov/newsevents/publichea...435591.htm 
One exception on the horizon may be a product being produced for Peak Performance Veterinary Group in Colorado. It has a CBD concentration of 100 mg/ml in a coconut oil base and has been tested for purity and contaminants. It is also a full-spectrum extraction, which means additional cannabidiol substances such as cannabidivarin (CBDV), cannabichromene (CBC) and cannabigerol (CBG) are also present. For more information on the product you can contact the hospital through peakvets.com. 
Future research and experience will give us more information on dosing levels and intervals. Current recommendations for oral dosing of CBD in dogs and cats are 0.02 mg/kg to 0.1 mg/kg given twice daily. According to James Gaynor, DVM, DACVA, DACVPM, of Peak Performance Veterinary Group, for pain management most dogs do well at 0.05 mg/kg twice daily, while cats do well at 0.025 mg/kg twice daily. 
Finally, this article would not be complete if we didn’t touch on the legality of buying and reselling hemp-based products. The DEA considers CBD a marijuana derivative and therefore subject to class 1 scheduling. However, the agency has enforcement only over the cultivation of hemp—not its 
distribution. This is why most hemp products come from overseas, resulting in the concerns over heavy metals and pesticide contamination we discussed earlier. 
The FDA has also gotten involved because of medical claims made by some manufacturers of CBD products. As a result, in order to avoid prosecution, most CBD products come with no specific medical claims or dosing recommendations. As if that weren’t confusing enough, the USDA considers hemp an agricultural product and has made its own statements about the product. Obviously, in order for CBD to be dispensed without fear of reprisal, all federal agencies need to come together and take a position on the sale and use of CBD products. 
Is it worth recommending CBD products to your clients? My answer is yes, as long as you take into consideration the points framed here. Should you have clients buy direct from a manufacturer or resell it yourself? I think that depends not only on how far you want to insulate yourself from the various government agencies, but also on the specific laws of your state concerning the purchase and resale of CBD. This information is changing constantly, but information for some states can be found here: ncsl.org/research/health/state-medical-marijuana-laws.aspx. The information on CBD can be found by scrolling down the page. 

Dr. Michael Petty is a faculty member of the Canine Rehabilitation Institute in Wellington, Florida, and owner of Arbor Pointe Veterinary Hospital in Canton, Michigan. 
K Clark-Stapleton PhD Student